By: Jack H. Wilmore and David Costill
Copyright date: 1999;
Publication date: 1/1/99;
Text for undergraduate and graduate courses in exercise physiology. Reference for exercise scientists, sports medicine specialists, athletic trainers, sports physical therapists, physical educators, kinesiotherapists, fitness specialists, and graduate students in exercise science.
How can you make the best textbook in the field of sport and exercise physiology better? Leave it to authors Jack Wilmore and David Costill, two of the field's most respected scholars, to do so. The thoroughly revised second edition of Physiology of Sport and Exercise redefines the discipline's standard for textbooks.
Here's what makes Physiology of Sport and Exercise an even better resource:
* A better organization of the field's subject matter
* Dynamic graphic presentations-featuring four-color photographs, graphs, and illustrations-that complement the text and encourage a deeper understanding
* Clarity of language and reader-friendly presentation of information including color-coded chapters, chapter outlines, key terms and points, summary boxes, study questions, glossary and index
* Thoroughly updated information based on the latest research findings
* A new student study guide that features active learning exercises
* Metric as well as imperial measurements
The new edition includes dramatically improved and expanded supporting ancillary materials to help instructors teach the course.
The text's supporting materials include the following:
* An electronic Instructor Guide new to this edition, free with course adoptions
* A revised and improved Test Bank, free with course adoptions
* A much expanded Graphics Package for PowerPoint or slide presentations, free with course adoptions
Plus, instructors have the added convenience of being able to travel to a website to retrieve some of the course's ancillary materials.
Organization of the text
The logical order of the text has been retained, and it provides a comprehensive overview of the field without being overwhelming. Wilmore and Costill thoroughly explain all concepts so students can comprehend rather than simply memorize. The text masterfully provides a solid foundation of basic physiology from which to better interpret and understand sport and exercise physiology.
In Parts I through III, the authors review the major body systems and examine the body's acute response to exercise and its chronic response to training. In Part IV, students learn how the environment affects these responses. Part V examines various approaches used to optimize performance. Part VI focuses on unique concerns of special populations involved in physical activity, and Part VII examines the importance of physical activity to lifelong health.
The second edition has been updated to include current information regarding the following:
* Structure and compartmentalization of myofibrils and the sliding filament theory
* Neuromuscular factors and individual muscle fiber hypertrophy with resistance training
* Ergogenic aids including L-tryphtophan, branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), L-carnitine, creatine, chromium, and glycerol
* Recent results from longitudinal studies of older athletes
* And much more!
Now you can offer your students the very best textbook available for bringing the field of sport and exercise physiology to life. Physiology of Sport and Exercise-a powerful and engaging learning tool-offers students a jump start in their studies. And with adoption, you'll receive an excellent package of teaching materials free.
Student Study Guide
Take a close look at this study guide. It's been carefully designed to help students understand and apply the concepts presented in the text with dynamic learning activities.
All of the activities can be conducted outside the lab. Students apply the key concepts they've learned by conducting self-made experiments and classmate interviews and recording their own physiological responses to exercise.
Each chapter in the text is fleshed out with active learning exercises so students can witness first-hand how exercise shapes their daily lives. The Student Study Guide includes sample test questions for each chapter and lists a variety of websites that can be used to further explore the key topics found in the text.